PART OF MOONFEST
CELEBRATING THE 50TH ANNIVERSARY OF THE APOLLO 11 MOON LANDING
ABOUT MOON MEMORIES…
Whether you’re a Lunar Lover or a Lunar Loather, we want to hear from you!
This social history project invites you to share your recollections of the historic Moon landing, if you’re old enough to remember it first-hand — or your opinions about it, if you’re not quite old enough to have been there at the time!
As well as looking back, we’re also encouraging you to look forward, sharing your thoughts on our relationship with space and the future possibilities for returning to the Moon or travelling to distant stars and planets — which is something everyone seems to have an opinion about!
We’ve set up a wide range of online opportunities for you to submit stories, images and videos in the run-up to the festival. Birmingham-based writer and theatre maker Rochi Rampal will then gather these precious contributions and transform them into a very special exhibition to which MoonFest visitors will also be invited to contribute. Beyond the festival, everyone’s Moon Memories will be preserved in an online digital archive.
SHARE YOUR OWN MOON MEMORIES…
YOU MIGHT BE INSPIRED BY THESE QUESTIONS…
- What did you think and feel about the Moon landing: before it happened, while it was happening, and after it had happened?
- What did the people around you make of it all — your family and friends, your neighbours and colleagues?
- What else was going on in your life and the lives of those around you at the same time that these Moon missions were taking place?
- If you watched the Moonwalk on TV, what do you remember about that experience?
- Was landing on the Moon a good thing or a bad thing? What was gained and what was lost?
- Is spending huge amounts of money on space exploration worthwhile, or should it be put to other uses down on Earth?
- Did we even actually land men on the Moon in the first place, or is it all a big hoax?
- When, if ever, will a human being set foot on the Moon again? Or will the next big landing be as part of a mission to Mars?
- If you could go to the Moon yourself, would you do it? Why do you feel that way?
- Will it ever be possible for large numbers of people to live permanently in space?